Sunday, January 2, 2011

Workshops on low fire reduction

Reduction Firings have always been my passion and the main reason why I make things in clay. As a mad pyromaniac I am offering two participating workshops in March and April 2011. I have limited participation for both workshops to 10 people to be able to give everyone my full attention and guidance.

There will be a 20% price price reduction if both workshops are booked at the same time.

RAKU
This workshop is intended for people who want to experience a Raku firing, learn how to make up simple glazes, build a simple Raku kiln and get familiar with various post firing methods. We will work with traditional lustre Raku glazes as well as the "Naked Raku" technique.
Participants will bring 4 bisque pots made according to specifications that I will mail to people who have booked. I will also provide slips and terra sigillata if wanted. Notes with glaze recipes and firing techniques are available on completion of the workshop.

The workshop will be held on Saturday, 5th March 2011 at my studio from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m
Bring lunch to share, Tea and coffee will be provided
Cost 1000 inclusive


SMOKE FIRINGS IN AN URBAN ENVIRONMENT

In this workshop you will explore various ways of saggar firing (black ware and multi colour effects) and simulate a pit firing in a barrel.
Participants may fire up to 8 pieces made according to specifications which I will mail to people who have booked. Terra sigillata and slips will be provided at the same time.

The workshop will be held over a weekend. For out of town participants accomodation for 2-3 people is available at the house as I also run a bed & breakfast business under the name of Kingfisher Lodge (see my page on facebook) reduced rates will apply

Saturday
  • Introduction with Power Point presentation
  • packing various type of saggars
  • fire saggars in electric and Raku kiln
  • packing and lighting of the barrel kiln

Sunday

  • more saggar firing in Raku kiln
  • open fired saggars and barrel kiln
  • Evaluation and discussion

The workshop will be held at my studio Saturday 2nd April 9 a.m. - 4 pm Sunday 3rd April9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Bring lunch to share, tea and coffee provided
Cost 1200 inclusive

For more information and booking contact me at (011) 467 2624 cell 082 3301066 email tenmoku@ global.co.za or elsbethburkhalter@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment